Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Healthy Tips: Superfoods, Myth or Truth?


It’s a bird…it’s a plane…its SuperFoods!  Yes, they do exist and they are readily available to you.  To me, a superfood is one that contains complete proteins, in other words all the essential amino acids.  These foods keep you full longer and help build muscle.  Here are my favourite superfoods:

Eggs – you can prepare these wonderful treats in so many different ways, as an omelet, scrambled or even poached.  I love having my eggs for breakfast and if I’m hungry before bedtime, I’ll hard boil a couple and eat them with a sprinkle of pepper.



Quinoa – (pronounced keen-wa) – this is a seed posing as a grain.  Full of protein and much less carbs then white rice, however it provides the same effect on your plate.  You can serve it hot like pasta or cold in a salad.  I’ve managed to replace most recipes that use rice with this amazing seed.


Soy Beans – this is a common food in Asian cuisine and there are many different sources available.  You can have it as tofu, edamame, soy milk and even in powder form.  I enjoy tofu, but don’t know how to prepare it so I’ll usually have it at restaurants.  However, I keep a bag of frozen edamame in my fridge as well as a good supply of soymilk at all times.


Always use portion control when enjoying these foods, as too much of anything isn’t good for you.  Be adventurous and try something new, I especially recommend the quinoa as it’s a great rice/pasta replacement.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite superfood (super according to me) is cottage cheese. I love the taste with a bit of pepper and always get the fat-free stuff. Low carb and high protein, win/win! I like to eat it while my dinner is cooking or as a snack with veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have attempted cottage cheese but it's just not to my liking. It does contain amazing protein content and is super good for you. Maybe I will give it another try.

    ReplyDelete