Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Healthy Tips: Low Carbohydrate Restaurant Review - Seoul Korean Restaurant

We went out to celebrate a buddies’ birthday at the Seoul Korean BBQ restaurant on Macleod Trail, so I thought I’d do a review on the restaurant and how I tried to make this a healthier low carb meal.  I always try to eat healthy while dining out, as there are usually options available.

The restaurant is huge and it felt like two restaurants in one.  They’ve got one side reserved for all you can eat customers and one side for regular patrons.  We opted for the all you can eat Korean barbeque for $24.99 per person. This special is available Monday to Thursdays.  It’s exactly as advertised, all the barbecued meat you could eat with unlimited side items. 


Here’s how I Low-Carb'd the meal:

  • I had beef short ribs and regular beef for the barbecued meats
  • Bean sprouts, radish and siu-choy kimchi as my side dishes
  • The beef also comes with mushrooms and onions for sautéing and I ate all my beef in lettuce wraps instead of having the white rice
  • Had tea and water to drink.
The Good:
  • The food tasted great and you get to cook your beef to your own liking
  • Their side dishes tasted very authentic and all the servers spoke Korean
  • The servers were very attentive, coming by to change our cooking plate and refilling the portions regularly.
The Bad:
  • I have no idea what’s in the sauce for marinating the beef and I’m assuming there would be some sugar and MSG in it, so I didn’t completely avoid processed carbs this meal.
The Ugly:
  • I like being able to cook my own food, but I reeked of barbecue smoke afterwards as the smell gets into your clothing and hair.
Seoul Korean BBQ
4336 Macleod Trail SW
Calgary, Alberta
403-243-7970

No comments:

Post a Comment