Friday, October 29, 2010

Healthy Tips: Goal Setting


I remember growing up and flipping through the Consumers Distributing catalogue, highlighting the different toys I wanted to buy.  Every few months I would pick one that I really wanted and then start saving my weekly allowance to make that big purchase.  When the piggy bank was fat enough, I would open it up, put all my money into a zip-lock bag and head to the mall.  There was a great sense of accomplishment when I walked out of the store with my shiny new toy because I knew that I had earned it myself.

This brings me to the topic of setting goals.  Creating a goal list is a great way to hold yourself accountable to what you want to achieve.  It acts as a constant reminder to keep growing as a human being.  Keep in mind that not all goals are created equal, and that they can vary in complexity. 

I try to always apply the SMART principle when setting them to keep things within reach:

Specific - be precise and particular, focus on what you want and avoid being vague
Measurable - make sure it can be quantified somehow
Achievable - it should to be humanly possible to accomplish
Realistic - the goal has to be within your personal limits, dream within reason
Timely - give it a timeline, whether its hours, days, months or years

Here’s an example:

Goal:  I want to lose weight

That’s a good start, but how and when are you going to get there?  How much weight do you want to lose?  There are a few missing pieces that will keep you from achieving this goal.

Here’s the refined one using the SMART principle:

Goal:  I want to lose ten pounds for my best friend’s wedding by Jun 20 2011

Specific…check!  Lots of detail
Measurable…check!  Ten pounds is a good number to start with
Achievable…check!  You’re giving yourself about a year
Realistic…check!  A pound per month is doable
Timely…check!  A deadline is set

So get out that pen and paper and start recording your goals.  Keep in mind, they are more likely to be achieved if you actually write them down and keep them as an active reminder.

If you're having issues figuring out your goals, I know a wonderful life coach who has expertise in this arena.  He’s a good friend of mine and I have the utmost respect for this man.  If you’re looking for some assistance on setting goals, contact Russ.  He is wise beyond his years and his website is Life Coach Calgary

No comments:

Post a Comment