Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eat Healthy: Low Carb Restaurant Review - Wa's Japanese Restaurant


We decided to head out for dinner and treat ourselves for a long week of work at Wa's Sushi.  It's a quaint little sushi restaurant located on Centre Street, just outside of the downtown core.  I love coming here because I know it's Japanese owned and operated, the Chinese owned restaurants just can't compete when it comes to sushi.  Plus, they offer a bunch of authentic dishes, some of which I'm reluctant to try, like squid guts. 

The prices are reasonable as we spent just over $50 on a authentic Japanese meal for two and the food is absolutely delicious.  The fat Colin in me always escapes when I enter a restaurant, but healthy Colin prevailed and I tried my best to make this a healthy meal even though we were dining out.

Here’s how I Low-Carb'd the meal:

  • Edamame beans as an appetizer
  • Agadashi Tofu for a starter that is covered in veggies
  • Sashimi for the main course
  • Tea to drink 

The Good:
  • I had quite a high protein meal here loaded with healthy protein from soy and fish and surprisingly I was quite full from only a few dishes
  • The agadashi tofu is delightful!
The Bad:
  • The tofu is lightly deep-fried and the sauce is slightly sweetened
The Ugly:
  • This restaurant is tiny and gets extremely packed during the dinner rush, so make reservations or get there early to ensure a spot
Wa's Japanese Restaurant
1721 Centre Street NW
403-277-2077

No comments:

Post a Comment