Monday, November 8, 2010

Funny Training Story - Always use a Spotter



I’ve been training with friends and clients on and off since I was 18.  It’s been a wonderful journey learning about my own training as well as learning how to train and motivate others.  There are always those moments in life that sit fondly in your memories and this series is about a few learnings that I’ve collected along the way

Being Hercules:
You always see those young kids in the gym trying to impress their friends by lifting as much weight as possible, while their legs and back flail in the process.  Well, I was one of those kids at one time. 

In an attempt to not look like a weakling in university, I willingly grabbed the 50lb dumbbells and plunked myself down on the bench.  I had never pressed this much before, but my pride had taken over.  Using my knees to get the weights into position, my torso fell backward onto the bench with a crackling of my vertebrae.  “That hurt”, I thought, yet I forged ahead.  I manage to push the weights up, once….twice….three times. 

I ask myself if I should go for fourth and my machismo urges me to continue.  I get the fourth rep up and my left arm starts to shake like a leaf, next thing I know my elbow buckles and THUD!  My triceps can’t support the weight and it comes thundering down on my chest.  Not only did I look like an idiot, but I gave myself a temporary third nipple to show for it. 

Lesson learned: always use a spotter.

No comments:

Post a Comment