Friday, February 4, 2011

Healthy Recipes: Asian Soup

I made a challenge to some of my clients to try some different vegetables that they've never eaten over the weekend, so I thought I would put up a recipe with some vegetables that not everybody is familiar with.  It's a ground pork, winter melon soup.  It reminds me of soup my mom would make during the cold winter months.  I bought all the ingredients at the T&T supermarket, they have a great selection of asian vegetables.  If you don't know what these vegetables are, I have pictures below



Ingredients:
1 pound of ground pork
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
1 teaspoon of ground pepper
1/4 of a winter melon
4 stocks of siu choy
1 cup of enochi mushrooms
1 litre of chicken stock

Instructions:
Marinate the ground pork with the pepper and fish sauce
Let it sit for 1 hour for added flavour
Cut up winter melon into 4 inch squares
Cut up siu choy into 2 inch long pieces
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in pan
Add pork mixture and stir until pork is cooked (changes color from pink to white)
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
Add winter melon, siu choy and mushrooms and again bring to a boil for 2 minutes
Add salt to taste, let soup cool and serve

Siu Choy

Winter Melon


Enochi Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment