Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Healthy Tips: My Favourite High Protein Foods

Since I often preach about minimizing the processed carbs in your diet, here's a few of my favourite high protein food sources.  These items are staples in my fridge and I always keep the supplies well stocked. 


Eggs
These treats of nature can be cooked up in so many delightful ways, scrambled, poached, fried and many more.  I usually eat them hard-boiled because it's so quick and convenient and I still get a good amount of protein from them.  In fact one large egg contains up to 6 grams of protein, that's a good bang for your buck if you're looking for a quick protein fix, and they're tasty too





Quinoa
I've virtually replaced my white rice intake with this organic goodness. (Except for family dinner at mom's, she'd kill me!)  It's a seed and not a grain so it's protein and fibre content is much higher then regular rice. 

It cooks up just like rice with a two to one liquid to quinoa ratio.  I has a nice nutty flavour about it and has 5 grams of protein per 44 gram serving.  And it's classified as a superfood to boot.

Chocolate Milk
It does do a body good, I love this stuff and drink about half a litre daily.  It tastes good and has about 8 grams of protein per 250ml serving.  If you're looking for a lower carbohydrate alternative, try regular white milk.  I prefer chocolate milk because I get my chocolate fix without hurting the waistline.












My grocery basket isn't complete without these three items, perhaps yours shouldn't be either.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been a bit concerned with the higher sugar content of choco milk, and the fact that you can't get it in the skim variety (that I've seen). This is triple the calories of skim milk. I like mine with sugar free chocolate protein powder. This puts the calorie count right back up, but calories from protein keep you feeling full a lot longer.

    On another note, gotta get me some quinoa, I've had it a couple of times but never stock it at home. It's such a nice, versatile side dish in any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the higher sugar content and it can be detrimental, thanks for the suggestion, it's a great point!

    Quinoa is such an amazing food!

    ReplyDelete