Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Calgary Gym Reviews: Gold's Gym

I was fortunate enough to live really close to the first Gold's Gym that opened in Calgary in the NE.  It's located where the original Calgary Ikea was before they relocated down south, just off 36 Street.



The Positives:
They offered a monthly 20/month fee with no signup fee to try to draw in new membership for the brand new store.  How could I say no to that and it was a definite upgrade from the Village Square facility.  However, I believe the price is about 50/month now.
The facility was beautiful, but I wouldn't expect less from a brand new facility.  Obviously all the equipment was top of the line and they even had a gym where you could play basketball. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable, plus they had an MMA cage (it's no longer there).  Tanning beds and a juice bar were also in the same building. 

The Negatives:
The brand attracts alot of bodybuilders, so if you get distracted by loud grunts and slamming weights, then either bring some earphones or go during non-peak times. 
Also, they claim that you can go to any Gold's Gym worldwide, but this is far from the truth.  Each gym is a privately owned franchise so it is up to each owner if they will let you in to use their facilities.  When I tried using the Northland location (owned by a different person), I was almost turned away, so take this "perk" with a grain of salt.

Overall, the Northland Gold's Gym is an awesome facility, so if you're in the NE or work close by, I would recommend that you sign up if you can.

3 comments:

  1. The most stuck up management you can find in Calgary fitness clubs. They are the only place in this country that forces you to take off your shoes as you enter the front entrance, so you have to walk on the floor with dirt all over your socks, apparently too cheap to hire a cleaner.

    They throw away their only upper abs. machine (Jun 2011), and replace it with a lower abs. machine, so they have 3 low abs., but 0 upper abs. machine. They had 5 large yellow mattresses, now down to 1 mattress.

    Never repair damage padding, then months later, they put new piece of leather on top of the damage leather, but the foam underneath is still badly damaged, they don't replace the foam.

    the whole place is sickening and stuck up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started as member of Northland golds, but after a move to the south end of calgary, I wanted to go to Golds Mckenzie, but as author above wrote, I wasn't able to just start going to that location, I had to pay a $60 transfer fee. I also found both locations to be run by people with bad attitudes, employees could barely look up at you when you come in or leave, let alone say "hello".

    Once my 3 year membership was up, they charged me another 60 to switch my membership to a month to month billing, which they also raised 15%. Apparently this is somewhere on your contract, so make sure you read every inch of fine print. So I called to cancel, and was told that I had to go down to the gym and meet with an employee, who filled out a cancellation sheet, signed it and told me that usually you would have to give a 91days notice to cancel, but because I was in to see her and she was signing the paper work that I just had to mail it in and that would count as the notice. A few days afterI got a call from the headoffice, Northlands location, the female who called me, first asked why I was cancelling, after I explained that I didn't appreciate them charging me extra after 3years of my business and that I thought that was pretty greedy, her tone changed and now instead of trying to get me back, she was just going to tell me that I still had to give 91 days no matter what the previous employee told me, and if I didn't pay they would send it to collections.

    I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU JOIN A DIFFERENT GYM, GOLDS IS ONLY THERE FOR YOUR MONEY AND DO NOT CARE ONE BIT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH!! BUYER BEWARE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this link, golds gym is F RATED:

    http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/health-clubs/golds-gym-northland-ho-in-calgary-ab-37390

    ReplyDelete